Thursday, November 18, 2010

I would like to introduce two of my friends

Their names are Eggs Seuche and Poor Mans Soup.

My senior year of High School I lived up in Eureka with my aunt and uncle. My aunt Carla is one of my idols, I learned a lot from watching her in the kitchen. But, as far as I know Eggs Seuche are my uncle Tully's invention. I vaguely remember him telling me that people somewhere make them like this. Then again he can be a storyteller. UNDERSTAND THIS: do not knock it until you have tried it. Remember when you were a kid and you just knew in your heart that something was gross just by looking at it. Come to find out, now that you are grown, you had missed out on quite a bit, all because of preconceived notions. So, I ask you to please not judge, and try it!

It is simple: melt some butter in a pan on medium low heat, scramble some eggs with salt in a bowl and then add to the pan, cook them slowly, stirring often so that the eggs form small curds. Shut off the heat moments before they are fully cooked, and give them one final stir. Now here is the part that will scare many of you. Go to your refrigerator and get out the mayonnaise. Yes, the mayonnaise. Take a spoon of mayo and add it to the pan, then stir until it has seemed to disappear and lightly coat the eggs. How much mayo is up to you, just remember sometimes there is too much of a good thing and then it becomes a bad thing. OK?

Clear your mind and take a bite! See Mr. Seuche? He is right there on the left of the plate. Now does he really look scary? No, I didn't think so.

My other friend? Poor Mans Soup? I invented him many years ago, when the cupboards were nearly bare, and it was cold and icky outside. Brown a pound of ground beef, and a chopped white onion.
Peel and cut potatoes into cubes, I like red or yellow Yukon for this.
Add a can of el pato and a good 8 cups of broth, season with salt. 
Simmer until potatoes are done.
This soup is also excellent with nopales, mushrooms, or carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment